If you have been wanting to make some changes around the home in 2021 and do not know where to start, it may be time to start looking at smart technology. Smart technology has come a long way and now has a great ability to integrate with your home in a seamless fashion. Meaning that you can control both your heating and lighting just from your smartphone! Following through this guide will give you all the ideas you will need to get inspired and start making your home a smart home!
To start off with, a smart speaker. A smart speaker is vital for getting your smart home set up. Smart speakers allow you to play music via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, depending on the brand you choose. However, you will also want to make sure the smart speaker that you select has a built-in virtual assistant.
A virtual assistant will allow you to take control of the rest of the smart devices in your home, often via voice commands. Make sure to keep in mind which speaker you select as not all smart devices will be compatible with all virtual assistants. So before purchasing any devices you will want to check they are compatible.
Smart thermostats are a great addition if you are looking to have a lot more control over your heating. They allow you to control your heating via a companion app on your smartphone or computer. Which means that you will never accidentally leave the heating on again.
When it comes to the installation of a smart thermostat you mainly install them yourself. However, if you want this done professionally there may be heating engineers in your area that will offer this service. They are compatible with all boiler types. So, whether you have a system or a combi boiler you have got no need to worry. Smart thermostats are not compatible with all boiler manufacturers however so make sure you do your research before purchasing.
You will next want to start looking at your lighting. Smart lighting is a great addition to any home that is looking to become totally integrated. While smart light bulbs do cost more than regular light bulbs, there are a number of upsides to smart lightbulbs:
- LED bulbs: All smart lightbulbs are LED bulbs. This means that they are a lot more energy efficient than both incandescent and CFL bulbs. Meaning that you will be saving money on your energy bills.
- Control from your phone: You can control your smart lights from your smartphone via a companion app. This means that you can always make sure that your lights are turned off and can also turn your lights on before you get home, so you will be coming home to a lit home.
- Different light modes: There is a range of different light modes that you can use with certain smart lightbulbs. These can range from a nightlight to a reading light to a number of other options.
- Pair with smart speakers: Most brands of smart lightbulbs can also be linked with your home hub. Meaning that you can have full control via voice commands.
- Colours: Smart bulbs can come in both white and colours. The main pro to this is down to how much fun that you can have with these colour bulbs.
Smart security is a vital addition to any home. There are many aspects to smart security that you can add to your home but the first two additions you should make are smart locks and doorbells.
Smart locks are a great addition that not only add that extra layer of security but also adds a great range of features:
- Remote control: Smart locks have a companion app that allows you to control the lock remotely.
- Custom entry codes: If you live in a shared home or a busy family home, then custom entry codes may be seen as a miracle. Most smart locks allow you to a number of custom entry codes, which means people in your household can come and go without needing to remember a key.
- Entry and exit monitoring: There are some smart locks that can also allow you to monitor how often people are coming and going from your home. Which can be great for keeping an eye on your home when you are out of the house.
- Auto-locking: Most smart locks also have an auto-locking feature. Meaning that if you have left your door open you can set a timer that your smart lock will automatically lock.
Smart doorbells have been all the rage for a while now and rightly so, they offer you a great layer of added security. Your smart doorbell will connect to a companion app on your phone. This then allows you to view the camera that is on your doorbell on your phone.
A smart doorbell helps with security by having a motion sensor embedded that will detect movement and send a notification to your phone. This way, if there is movement outside your home in the early hours, you will be notified and can view the camera. This can also make sure that you will never miss a delivery and can tell a driver where to place your parcel if you are not home.
Finally, smart plugs. Smart plugs allow you to be in control of your plug sockets via a companion app on your smartphone. Meaning you are more likely to remember to turn off devices you may have left on. It also means that you can turn off devices on standby easier, meaning you will be losing less energy through the year!
Those are 5 ideas that may help you with beginning your journey into the world of a smart home. Smart technology is always changing and evolving. So, make sure to keep an eye out for the latest news and tech so you do not miss out!